Our commitment to solidarity.
At hi-gloss, we are committed to bold storytelling and making brands shine. In light of the tragic deaths of Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, and George Floyd, we want to shine a light on the often silenced and untold stories of Black voices. We stand in solidarity with the Black community and affirm our support of equality and justice for all by pledging to do our part in ending systemic and institutional racism.
During this national reckoning, we are forced to ask ourselves how we got here. At hi-gloss, we are dedicated to educating ourselves and initiating an open and honest dialogue on how to not only be non-racist, but how to be actively anti-racist. This process will require us to ask tough questions and engage in uncomfortable conversations—all of which is necessary and vital in order to become more thoughtful and effective allies.
We encourage you to explore the anti-racist resources and organizations below. In fighting for a more equitable future, we must learn about the Black community’s systemic suffering of the past and present:
- The Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History and Culture launched a new online portal called Talking About Race. Over 100 multimedia resources are available and are even categorized for educators, caregivers, and those who are committed to equity.
- Local bookstore Books and Books put together an essential anti-racist reading list that can be found here.
- Forbes compiled an extensive list of anti-racism resources including seminal books, articles, films, TV shows, podcasts, and more.
- Take advantage of these anti-racism resources that are currently streaming for free, such as Just Mercy with Michael B. Jordan and Jamie Foxx, The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975 on Amazon Prime, and a number of resources on PBS.
- Support national and local organizations committed to dismantling institutional racism and oppression, such as the NAACP, ACLU, Engage Miami, and The Dream Defenders.
This is only the beginning, but the demand for justice is long and lifelong work.
We hope you will join us.